A spring within the fort provided water provide to the ships that referred to as there, providing it the identify "Aguada" (meaning 'water' in Portuguese). Around the northern aspect, it delivers a harbour for nearby shipping. The fort, at existing, homes the central jail. A 19th century constructed lighthouse is located within the fortress.
Immediately south of Candolim, a lengthy peninsula extends in to the sea, bringing the seven-kilometre white sandy beach to an abrupt finish. Aguada Fort, which crowns the rocky flattened top with the headland, will be the best-preserved Portuguese bastion in Goa. Built in 1612 to protect the northern shores with the Mandovi estuary from Dutch and Maratha raiders, it can be home to various all-natural springs, the first supply of consuming water accessible to ships arriving in Goa right after the lengthy sea voyage from Lisbon.General Information
Location : 18-km From Panaji, Old Goa.
Panjim - Prime Attractions
At the place where two of Goa's famous rivers meet the Arabian Sea is the secluded bay of Dona Paula with a fine view of the Marmagao Harbour. more..
Ruins Of St. Augustine's Tower
Built in 1602, the only ruin of the Church of St. Augustine on the Holy Hill at Old Goa near the Nunnery, is a lofty 46-metre high tower defying the torrential rains. more..
The Chapel Of Our Lady Of The Mount
About 2-km on the main road towards Ponda, a Kuchcha road branches off to a place where a cross is fixed. The road leads to a hill on which, commanding a picturesque view, is the Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount more..
The Church And Convent Of St. Monica
In the Holy Hill, on the way to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite which was originally lime-plastered but is now plastered with cement. more..
The Church Of Our Lady Of The Rosary
Not far to the west of the Basilica of the Bom Jesus is the Holy Hill at the extremity of which is the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. more..
The Church Of St. Francis Of Assisi
To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi. more..
Archaeological Museum & Portrait Gallery
The museum has been functioning since 1964 in the abandoned convent of St. Francis of Assisi and is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
The collection consists of Brahmanical sculptures hero-stones and sati stones of the early and late medieval periods, portraits, coins and currency, revenue and court fee stamps, wooden and bronze sculptures and armoury of the Portuguese period. more..
The Church Of St. Francis Xavier
It is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar, with tiled roof supported by wooden rafters is a plain chapel with only one altar. more..
Aguada Fort, which crowns the rocky flattened top of the headland, is the best-preserved Portuguese bastion in Goa. Built in 1612 to protect the northern shores of the Mandovi estuary from Dutch and Maratha raiders more..
Archives Museum Goa
The Museum of Goa is housed at a new Building at the Patto Plaze near the Ourem creek, Panaji. The most noteworthy feature of Panjim's State Archeological Museum is its imposing size, which stands in glaringly inverse proportion to the scale of the collection inside. more..
Up in the lush foothills of the Western Ghats, Bondla is good place to see Sambhar and Wild Boar. It is smallest of the Goan Wildlife Sanctuaries. Its area is 8-sq-kms but easiest one to reach. more..
The Royal Chapel Of St. Anthony
To the west of the tower of St. Augustine is the Royal Chapel dedicated to St. Anthony, the national saint of Portugal and held in great veneration by the Portuguese. It was built in the beginning of the 17th century. more..
The Convent And The Church Of The Cross Of Miracles
On the southern outskirts of Old Goa is a hill on which stand this convent and church. more..
The Professed House & The Basilica Of Bom Jesus
Immediately to the south of the main road is the Professed House, a two-storeyed laterite building covered with lime plaster. Despite the opposition, which the Jesuits faced, the building was completed in 1585. more..
Sri Vithal Temple
From Kansarpal one can proceed to Sanquelim, the hometown of the Ranes of Satari who played key role in Goa's freedom struggle. The ancestors of the present Rane family, who are believed to have migrated to Goa from Udaipur about 600 years ago, built the famous Sri Vithal temple situated on the bank of Valvanta River. more..